Friday, October 30, 2009

Football, Perserverance, Hard times, and FINDING JESUS!

This weekend ended my second season as an assistant coach at FCMS (8th grade). This year was full of ups and downs. Our record didn't reflect how much we improved throughout the season. One area of the game that we certainly made strides in was PERSEVERANCE. It seemed like every time (other then maybe twice) we got down we found a way to fight back and score a touchdown or get a turnover or onside kick. This was a great "Teachable moment" with these kids. To show them that life will get hard and you have to keep trying and keep fighting especially when times get tough. I was so proud of how we finished the year this week, after a horrible game last week we bounced back and after one of our leaders got hurt we persevered through adversity to pull out a big win to end the year. Seeing these kids fight through hard times means more to me then seeing them score touchdowns.

As I bragged on this aspect of these kids this week I realized how important it is for Christians to persevere through hard times and "storms". Then as I started looking at my life I realized that I was standing in the middle of a few storms myself. Max Lucado shines some light on this topic in his new book Fearless. Jesus is the commander of every storm.Are you scared in yours? Stare at him.This may be your 1st storm. But it's certainly not his!

The more I prayed the more I turned to scripture and the support of God's people. Three things have helped me keep my focus on Jesus during these storms. 1. The presence of Christ in my life. (IF you have it give PRAISE, IF you don't GET IT) 2. Good Godly Christian friends who with spend time in God's word and in prayer with me. (FIND GODLY FRIENDS) 3. God's HOLY word!(Spend time in IT) All of these thing have helped me keep my eyes on the cross and I am thankful to thos people and their guidance.

I was once asked HOW LONG HAS GOD PESERVERED IN WAITING FOR YOU TO ANSWER HIS CALL? Are you eyes looking at the Storm or the ONE who can BRING YOU THROUH THE STORM?

May we look to JESUS in all times! AMEN

Scripture tells us this about PERSEVERANCE:
-1 Chor 16:11 Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always.
-Psalms 37:24 though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.
Is the LORD holding you up? Paul perserved, the Disciples did, JESUS did on the CROSS CAN'T WE? Is it easy NO by NO MEANS is it easy.

When your storms come will you be like Peter when he walked to Jesus ON WATER in a HUGE STORM or will we be like Peter when he took his eyes off Jesus and began to sink???? THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!

There are a few songs that help me in hard times, 1. Praise you in this Storm by Casting Crowns 2. Bring the Rain by Mercy Me
(Bring me joy, bring me peace Bring the chance to be freeBring me anything that brings You glory And I know there'll be days When this life brings me painBut if that's what it takes to praise You Jesus, bring the rainBring me joy, bring me peaceBring the chance to be freeBring me anything that brings You glory And I know there'll be days When this life brings me painBut if that's what it takes to praise You Jesus, bring the rain).

I realize very few of you are still reading this and most got mad and stopped reading it because it didn't apply to them (even though it does more then they know)! BUT how Christians handle hard times shows non-Christians what we believe about the greatness of God.

When I am afraid,I will trust in you. In God,whose word I praise,in God I trust;I will not be afraid.What can mortal man do to me?Ps 53:3-4! So as for me I am going to continue with everything I have to keep my eyes on CHRIST AND WALK TO HIM IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS STORM!

No comments:

Post a Comment