Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Holy Week Part 2...Joby Martin....Pride...THANK YOU JESUS

Monday’s big topic was Pride. I was listening to a pastor by the name of Joby Martin from Beach United Methodist Church in Jac. Fla preached on Pride and how it separates us from God.

This Holy Week has reminded me that it was religious people who sought out to kill Jesus. They wanted a reason to persecute Him because He was making them look bad or not follow their protocol for a rabbi or teacher. What a shame, these church people killed and ignored their KING and SAVIOR. Then again I do that, we all do if we are honest. When we let pride set in we lose sight of who God is and what Jesus did for us. Pride causes us to mistreat others and opportunities provided for us by God himself.

God works in spite of us NOT because of us!

My prayer this Holy Week and thus time forward is for God to remove my pride to remind me that I am NOTHING without JESUS! I can accomplish ABSOLUTELY NOTHING without JESUS CHRIST and His sacrifice on the Cross.

The scripture was from Luke 7:

36Now one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, so he went to the Pharisee's house and reclined at the table. 37When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume, 38and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

39When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner."

40Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to tell you."
"Tell me, teacher," he said.

41"Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii,[d] and the other fifty. 42Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?"

43Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled."
"You have judged correctly," Jesus said.

44Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

48Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."

49The other guests began to say among themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?"

50Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

This passage is full of possible topics or discussions, but a few things hit my heart very hard.

1. The lady washes Jesus’ feet with the perfume from her alabaster jar and was symbolically laying down on her pride and surrenders everything she had to Jesus. I pray that we all will find the same humility and fall at His feet surrendering all our pride to Jesus.

2. The Pharisee (religious leader) looks down on both Jesus and this woman because she sinned and because Jesus let her touch him. Really? This guy should KNOW JESUS, as the Church WE SHOULD accept those who are different. We shouldn’t reach out to just the well dressed visitor on Sunday, but also the YOUNG MAN who is heading to the STRIP CLUB. YEA EVEN HIM! Jesus died for all of us. So many “churched” people forget that we are still dirty evil sinners who have found grace and mercy and are forgiven. This Pharisee is to proud to see the beauty in this sinner surrendering to JESUS!

3. The parable of the forgiven debt here really hits home to me. Real short on this one THANK YOU JESUS for REMOVING MY DEBT!

I write because God places it on my heart, not because my words are worthy or significant. I speak because God provides the words, not because I deserve to. I am NOTHING WITHOUT JESUS! I’m NOT BETTER THEN ANYONE and I am very thankful for that.

In this sermon Joby also references Gal. 6:3-4:

3 If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself.4 Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else,

I pray that we all lay down our pride unless it is pride in what GOD does through us by HIS SON JESUS. Thank You God for working through me and for calling me to these things, may YOU GET ALL THE PRAISE, HONOR, and GLORY!

My sin is just as guilty as the Pharisees for killing Jesus, with that in mind How can I remain proud? Not possible! Praise God Praise GOD!


No comments:

Post a Comment