Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Holy Week Part 3...Unworthy...PERFECT!

Not too long ago I was talking to an old friend of mine that I haven’t seen in quite some time. When I told him that I had just spoke at church our conversation got real silent. He responded by saying “Are you a preacher now”, I almost died laughing. I explained to him that I was still a teacher and a coach, but was just speaking that one time. In his mind I know he was thinking ANDREW…CHURCH?
This story has been on my heart this week as I have been reading, listening, and watching things about Jesus and His last few weeks on earth. I have been reminded that God used average, unworthy, and foolish people to accomplish His will. Two sermons today one by Joby Martin and the other by Christina Caine reaffirmed these concept.
Think about Noah: building an ark in the desert…REALLY? LOL but look how GOD showed up! Moses: a Murderer….a man who talked to a burning bush, the man who separates the red sea. Can you imagine being his friend and being so confused how your friend could be used by God when he was so simple and imperfect? What about David when he was a boy and used 5 smooth stones instead of armor to kill Goliath. His brothers mocked him, but he trusted God. Peter scolds Jesus, Doubts him and almost drowns, and then denies him. How is he repaid? He is the Rock of the church and when he preaches at Pentecost 3000 people are saved by the Holy Spirit. How about Mary and Joseph….both were look at as foolish, but God always protected them. What about Paul? He killed Christians…he was going to persecute more when he is blinded on the Damascus road. God then uses him to spread the Gospel like no other. Then the disciples were all chosen by Jesus. Each one of the disciples was not chosen by other Rabbis because they weren’t viewed as good enough.
As the time grew closer Jesus tried teaching His disciples and those around, but they would not believe. Jesus used miracles to show how great God was and is. God used all these people and countless others who were unworthy and unjust to show just how powerful and might HE is.

To many times as Christians and the “church” we get trapped thinking…God can’t use me, I’m just normal….or whatever excuses we can find. However, God is waiting to add your name to the list of unworthy, unjust, sinful people that HE worked through to show HIS power and HIS mercy.

Thanks you God for working through sinful people in scriptures and in today’s society.

Do I deserve to speak to people about the Gospel, NO! Those closed to me knew a few weeks ago I would do a “good” job and I would be “fine”, but God had something bigger in mind. God took away all my comfort to speak in public, he took away all my preparation, and HE spoke through me and HE SAVED dozens of children and people. GOD did all that and those closed to me know that I was shaking and nervous beyond words before I spoke. Then to make sure I understood what was going on He provided words I did not write down in my notes. As this was happening I watched GOD TAKE OVER AND SAY just another unworthy sinner that I can use.

When we are unworthy we are perfect tools for God. What is HE trying to do through you?

Thank you JESUS for using and SAVING unworthy people.

No comments:

Post a Comment